Exploring the 5Hz Logging Mode on the Columbus P-10 Pro

(This document was first released on September 27, 2021. If you purchased your P-10 Pro after January 1, 2022, no worries! The firmware already includes support for 5Hz logging, so there’s no need for a firmware update.)

The Columbus P-10 Pro, our flagship logger, has been a trusted device for quite some time now. While it boasts excellent accuracy, its log frequency has been limited to 1Hz. But guess what? I’m thrilled to announce that today I received the 5Hz firmware from Columbus GPS! This firmware upgrade takes the log frequency from 1Hz to 5Hz, which is super exciting! This new capability could be a game-changer for various enthusiasts, especially those in the car racing industry. It’s definitely something to get excited about!

Below is a screenshot showing my test drive of P-10 Pro in 5hz mode. 

P-10 pro maintains a high accuracy level and little drift. The track is far more smoother than other 5Hz/10hz loggers in the market. You can download the logger file here for further investigation.

I was told by the Columbus GPS engineer that the P-10 Pro 5Hz mode is designed/customized for high velocity scenarios(>20km/h). It is not recommended being used for the low velocity scenarios(<20km/h) which makes the P-10 pro reduce the accuracy & increase the drift. You always have the option to rollback to 1Hz mode by updating the config file. 

If you need the 5hz log mode on your P-10 pro, please follow the update instructions below.

Instructions of setting Columbus P-10 Pro to 5Hz log mode.

Config the 5Hz log mode

Download the 5Hz config.txt file from here

Turn off P-10 Pro. Connect P-10 Pro to the computer with the cable, copy the downloaded configuration file “config.txt” under the root directory of the MicroSD card, and eject the device.

In the power-off state, press the “Power Button” and the “POI Button “simultaneously until you hear 3 short beeps, then the 3 lamps will flash three times at the same time, and finally you hear one long beep, indicating the configuration is successfully completed.

That’s it. Now your P-10 Pro is in 5Hz log mode. Just want to remind that the P-10 Pro 5Hz mode is designed/customized for high velocity scenarios(>20km/h). It is not recommended being used for the low velocity scenarios(<20km/h) which makes the P-10 pro reduce the accuracy & increase the drift. 

RollBack to 1Hz log mode (only when needed)

If you want to roll back to 1Hz mode, just applying the default config.txt file will do. Here is the link from the manufacturer’s website for the update instructions.

Leave a Reply