Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Geotagging Photos

My use case - automatically geotagging Canon R5 photos while hiking and traveling.

Current setup - QStarz BT-Q818XT, Samsung Galaxy S9, Bluetooth GNSS app, and Canon's Camera Connect. This works; my photos are GPS tagged as I take them.  My issue is that it is not very accurate and there is considerable drift.  

I also carry a Garmin GPSMap66i and the GPX logs it produces is a lot more accurate.  I would love to use the GPSMap66i as my GPS source, but I don't think that is possible. I could not get GPS info from the 66i using Bluetooth GNSS or GPS Connector (on the Galaxy S9).

Would using the Columbus P-7 Pro provide better GPS tracks?  (i.e. replace the BT-Q818XT with the P-7 Pro.)

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Garrett

Hi Garrett,

Yes, you can use the P-7 Pro with your Android phone for improved accuracy in photo geo-tagging. The P-7 Pro offers better accuracy than the BT-Q818XT.

If you're looking for significantly better accuracy (5 to 100 times improved), you might want to consider the Navisys GR-903 or the TOP608BT Bluetooth GNSS receivers as alternatives.

Navisys GR-903 RTK GNSS Receiver ( RTK Base & Rover, L1/L2 Dual-Band, USB & Bluetooth Dual Interfaces, 1.4 cm accuracy, Android "SPPRTK" app with data logging and location sharing features)

TOP608BT High Precision USB / Bluetooth GNSS Receiver (ZED-F9P multi-band RTK, 30 cm accuracy standalone, up to 1.4 cm accuracy with RTK)

Thanks!

Great!  

Thank you for your reply.  If I can get down to 1/2 meter with the P-7 Pro, I would be very happy with that  It looks like a good balance between performance and cost.  Also, since a lot places where I hike does not have cell/internet service, I think that would mean needed a portable RTK base which would also add to the cost...

I try out the P-7 Pro...

Thanks again.

The P-7 Pro has the following accuracy specifications: horizontal direction 0.5m CEP(50%) and 1.5m CEP(95%).

CEP stands for Circular Error Probable. A value of 0.5m CEP(50%) means that there is a greater than 50% probability that the track points will fall within a 0.5-meter radius. Similarly, a value of 1.5m CEP(95%) indicates that there is a greater than 95% probability that the track points will fall within a 1.5-meter radius.

I hope this provides a clearer description of the P-7 Pro's accuracy compared to simply stating a 0.5-meter accuracy.

Thanks!

lateapex has reacted to this post.
lateapex

I got the P-7 Pro!

While it is an improvement over the BT-Q818XT, the Garmin GPSMap66i still has less drift.  The downside with the GPSMap66i is the inability to be used as a GPS source (with Bluetooth GNSS).